Panels on a home’s roof spark small fire

SOLAR panels have caused the roof of a Tinbeerwah home to catch alight yesterday morning.

Fire crews, police and ambulance officers attended the blaze on Pacific View Dr at 9am before handing over to the Electrical Safety Office who worked for about an hour to get the fire under control. They managed to confine the fire to just the roof of the house.

Clean Energy Council media manager Mark Bretherton said initial reports there was an explosion at the house would not have been caused by the solar panels but faulty electricals.

"I've never heard of solar panels exploding. It's very unlikely and I can't see how they would," he said.

"What sometimes happens is if a switch hasn't been installed properly you might get a small fire but there's only been a handful of incidents in the history of the industry."

The SunWorks Solar Centre owner Mike Trust said the incident was no cause for alarm among solar panel users and the devices were safe. "It's more likely that your fridge or tumble drier will catch on fire."

Topics:  fire solar panels tinbeerwah

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Taking a national stand

NO WAY: Students from Year 8 created 'No Way' bullying posters to show bullying has no place at Emerald State High school.

Local high school raises awareness against bullying.

Inland Port announced

ECONOMIC BOOST: Federal Member for Flynn Ken O'Dowd makes the funding announcement at the Central Highlands Development Corporation's Economic Futures Forum on Monday.

Ken O'Dowd announced federal funding for two major projects.

Council legal battle win

Court, Justice, Law, Courthouse, Brisbane Supreme Court, Queensland Court of Appeal, Brisbane District Court (File)

Local council allowed to appeal $852k damages for error.

Local Partners