Paramedic almost patient in close call
SNAKE sightings are scaring Central Highlanders like never before, and it's a post-flood 'perfect storm' of breeding and feeding conditions.
Capella paramedic Steve de Keijzer almost became a victim mid-last week when he wandered out of the QAS station at night, trod on something scaly and felt the prick of fangs.
"Luckily for Steve, he was not envenomated when bitten in his yard," his Tieri counterpart, QAS advanced care paramedic Bryan Keith said.
"(He) can treat people knowing first-hand what it feels like to know you have been bitten by a snake.
"He stated to me to pass on the importance of walking at night with a torch to prevent unwanted incidents."
Mr Keith said snakes were on the move from October to March.
"The old saying a dead snake is a good snake should not be adhered to as this will more likely end in a bite to the attacker - you," Mr Keith said.
"Remember snakes are more scared of you and killing the one in your yard will not stop others visiting as you live in their area as well.
"So walk away and they will keep going, or call a snake catcher."
The Tieri Local Ambulance Committee has snake kits available for $25.
They contain one dressing, a 10cm crepe bandage, three 15cm crepe bandages and two triangular bandages.
Call the station on 4984 8766.