Pet owners beware of snakes
SUMMER is here, bringing renewed warnings of monitoring pets in case of snake bites.
Maraboon Veterinary Surgery's Dr Angela Sutherland said the surgery is seeing a fair number of snake bite cases in the last month and are warning to keep an eye on their pets.
"Summer is always the worst time for snake bites in pets,” she said.
"We encourage pet owner to supervise their animal when outside and try to keep yards a safe environment for their pets.
"Keep your dog on a leash rather than letting him run free, and stick to paths or tracks if possible.
"Snakes generally aren't aggressive and don't seek confrontation, so staying alert and keeping out of their way is the best way to prevent a bite.”
Dr Sutherland said symptoms can include sudden weakness followed by collapse, shaking or twitching of the muscles and difficulty blinking, vomiting, loss of bladder and bowel control, dilated pupils, paralysis or blood in urine.
"If you see any evidence of your pet being bitten or having an encounter with a snake, try to get you pet away from snake in safe manner without endangering yourself, get your pet somewhere cool and try to keep yourself and your pet calm, call your veterinarian immediately.
"The chances of recovery are much greater if your pet is treated early, with some pets making a recovery within 48 hours.
"Pets left untreated have a much lower survival rate and many die.
"If your vet is some distance away, if practical, you can apply a pressure bandage - a firm bandage over and around the bite site - to help slow the venom spreading to the heart.
"But do not wash the wound or apply a tourniquet.”