Snake bite victim almost dies in parents' arms
WATCHING his four-year-old son go limp in his wife's arms as they waited for an ambulance brought emotions Scott Goodall would not wish on any parent.
Mr Goodall was cooking a barbecue at his family's Goombungee home shortly after 6pm on Friday when his son Lawson, who was playing on the lawn with dogs only metres away, was bitten by a snake.
Lawson sprung to his feet, clutching his left forearm saying, "Daddy, I've been bitten by a snake."
"You could clearly see the two puncture marks and the two droplets of blood and I knew he had definitely been bitten by a snake," Mr Goodall said.
His wife Danielle came out to the veranda and took Lawson while Mr Goodall grabbed a bandage and called 000.
A compression bandage was applied.
"From that moment on, it was about trying to keep him still and calm."
An ambulance was on its way from Highfields when Lawson started deteriorating.
"He started vomiting quite vigorously and shaking and convulsing and he started to lose consciousness while he was in his mum's arms.
"That was pretty scary."
Lawson lost consciousness about 10 minutes after being bitten.
Mr Goodall said paramedics arrived about 18 minutes after the call was made and he jumped in the back of the ambulance with his son for the trip to Toowoomba.
Meanwhile, Mrs Goodall prepared their five-week-old daughter Peyton for a drive into town.
"It was hard for me because I had to take care of Peyton," Mrs Goodall said.
"All you want to do is be by his side.
"But he was in good hands and he had dad with him."
Blood was taken on arrival at hospital and after tests it was confirmed he had suffered a bite from a snake in the black snake family.
These included eastern browns and red-bellied blacks.
Antivenom was administered about 9.30pm.
"Once he had that, that was a relief to us," Mr Goodall said.
Lawson was taken by road to the paediatric intensive care unit at Lady Cilento Hospital in Brisbane shortly after midnight.
The venom had started to break down his muscle tissue.
"You could tell that he was in a lot of pain."
He partially woke a few times, but only lasted about 15 minutes before slipping back into unconsciousness.
Mum and dad remained by his side until 4.30am Saturday, when Mrs Goodall went home with her infant daughter to get some rest.
Mr Goodall was by his son when he woke up about 7.30am.
Doctors kept Lawson in overnight on Saturday and he was discharged from hospital on Sunday.
His family remained in Brisbane on Sunday night as a precaution before returning to their Goombungee farm on Monday.
Lawson yesterday seemed unaffected as he played with his Christmas toys and his family dogs.
Being home was a huge relief.
"We just sat down and looked at each other and thanked God it wasn't a different story," Mr Goodall said.
"For a moment there, I really did think that I had lost him.
"We both had that feeling and it is the worst feeling in the world."