Poison warning for parents after 2500 kids hospitalised

PARENTS are being urged to keep poisons and cleaning goods out of the reach of their children, after a report showed nearly 2500 children were hospitalised last year after poisonings.

The annual report on poisonings from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission showed about 180,000 calls were made last year to the national Poisons Information Centre network.

It found the injuries children sustained from poisonous products ranged from skin irritations to eye damage, to severe internal burns from ingested toxic products.

Among the items the ACCC has urged parents keep out of reach of children were cleaning goods, pesticides and insect sprays, pool chemicals and household bleaches and herbicides.


Bushfire smoke hazard for CQ highway

Bushfire smoke hazard for CQ highway

A BUSHFIRE west of Blackwater is affecting visibility on the Capricorn Highway.

Small community recycled more than 11-million containers

Small community recycled more than 11-million containers

Millions of containers have been recycled through a Central Highlands facility as...

Lightning strikes behind five bushfires

Lightning strikes behind five bushfires

This is the full list of Queensland bushfire alerts and evacuations