VIDEO: Berserker man, 49, charged after four-hour siege
UPDATE: A man has been charged after allegedly threatening police during a siege at a Rockhampton home on Friday.
It will be alleged a man threatened officers on Lucas Street, Berserker before retreating into a house and making further threats.
A 49-year-old Berserker man has been charged with threatening violence, serious assault police officer, unlawful possession of weapons and public nuisance. He is expected to appear at the Rockhampton Magistrates Court on May 3
The arrest followed a four hour stand-off in North Rockhampton.
What we know:
- Police have cordoned off area around home in Berserker
- Man has made threats to burn down house
- It is believed the man is in possession of a gun
- He was taken away by police last week in a paddy wagon
- QPS, QFES and QAS are on scene
- Police have laid down spikes on the road
- Residents say this is not unusual
UPDATE 3.15PM: POLICE have just arrested the man at the centre of a four hour siege.
The man has been taken into custody and is assisting police with their inquiries after he made threats towards police earlier today in Berserker.
The man allegedly threatened officers on Lucas Street earlier this morning and then retreated to a house and made further threats.
Police negotiated with the man for several hours and have taken him into custody in the last hour without incident.
Investigations are continuing.
UPDATE 3.11PM: POLICE have stormed the Lucas St home where a man has been holed up for about four hours.
A witness, who works at a business nearby, said she saw about three police officers enter the home just moments ago.
More to come.
UPDATE 2.45PM: MORE police crews, including what is believed to be a tactical crew, have arrived at the scene of the Berserker siege.
The man at the centre of the incident made another brief appearance at the front door of the home before closing all windows and doors and making requests to police.
The Queensland Police have released a statement in regards to how the incident started.
A spokesperson from the Queensland Police said police are currently negotiating with a man who is inside a house that is on Lucas Street in Berserker.
Uniformed police were attending to an unrelated matter on Lucas Street around 10.30am when a man approached police and started verbally abusing and threatening to harm the officers.
The man then retreated into a house and made further threats against police.
Negotiators are currently communicating with the man and no one else is believed to be involved in the incident.
A cordon is currently in place in the area, and police have asked anyone with that cordon to please stay inside until further advised.
Investigations are continuing.
UPDATE: 1.15PM: THE man at the centre of a siege situation in Berserker made a brief appearance by opening the door and poking his head out.
Reports indicate he quickly went back inside.
Witnesses have described him as being of solid build wearing a blue and white stripped shirt.
Witnesses say he can be seen pacing inside the house.
UPDATE 11.20am: POLICE are urging Rockhampton residents to stay away from a situation in Berserker where a man well known to police has made threats to burn down a house.
The Bulletin is at the scene were there is a heavy police presence, along with other emergency services.
Residents have told The Bulletin this was not the first time the man has been involved with police.
Last week, the man, who is believed to have been recently released from prison after being found not guilty of murder, was taken away in a paddy wagon.
11am: POLICE are installing spikes on the road around a Berserker home where a man has made threats.
Police have the area around the house in Lucas Street cordoned off with reports indicating the man has barricaded himself inside a house and has threatened to burn it down.
It is believed the man is in possession of a gun.
BREAKING 10.45AM: POLICE have cordoned off a Berserker street following threats made by a man in a home on Lucas St.
Initial reports indicate a man, who is well known to police, has locked himself inside a home and is threatening to light it on fire.
The incident comes after the man was reportedly yelling and shouting in the street.
The Morning Bulletin can confirmed police have cordoned off the area at the intersections of Musgrave and Charles Streets and Charles and Spike Streets.