POLICE investigations into a series of vehicle break-ins across the Bowen Basin, including a haul of $2000 cash from one unlocked car in Middlemount, are continuing.
Dysart officer-in-charge Sergeant Ian Park said two lines of inquiry had been advanced in the wake of the spate of thefts in Dysart, Middlemount and Clermont last month.
“At least seven vehicles were unlawfully entered at Dysart, one of which had $500 cash in it…(as well as) at least four (vehicles) at Clermont on February 4 and at least 30 vehicles at Middlemount on February 11,” Sgt Park said.
“They were really only after cash, and all vehicles had been left unlocked.
“These were all opportunistic thefts which occurred because people were lax in their personal security.”
Sgt Park said the break-ins occurred between 8pm and 5.30am in residential areas of the townships, not mining camps, and from vehicles predominantly parked in front yards or driveways.
“People need to take responsibility and remember the criminal element does talk among themselves and there is always an opportunity that someone who had such rich pickings from these areas will target them again, if not them, then other offenders,” he said.
“People really need to lock their property.”
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.