Prison 'break-in' wide of the mark

KRISTEN Henderson probably thought she'd pulled the ultimate fast one on police when she broke into the Maryborough Correctional Centre to visit her brother.

The only problem was, she'd got the wrong address.

She wasn't even at the prison when she tore down a wire fence and drove into a council reserve at Duckinwilla.

Motivated by concern for her brother's welfare and unable to get information about him when he was in custody, Henderson decided to take the matter into her own hands and visit him.

It was December 16 when Henderson phoned up the prison and decided the staff member she spoke with was being unco-operative, so the Hervey Bay woman threatened to make a personal visit.

Later on, about 9pm, a council ranger at Lenthall Dam Rd saw Henderson's car driving towards his office. But he'd recently secured the only entry gate to the reserve, so he approached the vehicle to ask how Henderson managed to get inside.

After signalling the car to stop, the ranger noted Henderson appeared upset and she told him she was trying to find the prison.

When the ranger asked how she got through the locked gate, she said she'd busted through a section of the fence.

On February 6, Henderson attended the police station and admitted what she'd done. She was charged with wilful damage and this week pleaded guilty in Hervey Bay Magistrates Court.

She insisted she had not used her car to ram the fence, but had instead pulled the wire down and then driven inside.

Magistrate Graeme Tatnell was not impressed. He fined Henderson $500 and ordered her to pay $533.50 to council for the damage.

"This is just silly," Mr Tatnell said.

He told the single mother she'd be better off spending the money on her child.

Playful kitten looking for his forever home

Premium Content Playful kitten looking for his forever home

He loves human affection and the company of other pets.

Girl flown to Rockhampton Hospital after skateboard fall

Premium Content Girl flown to Rockhampton Hospital after skateboard fall

RACQ Capricorn Rescue airlifted the patient on Tuesday