Queen admitted to hospital for first time in 10 years

THE Queen has been admitted to hospital in London suffering from gastroenteritis, Buckingham Palace said today.

The palace said the Queen had been admitted to Edward VII Hospital in London in order to be assessed after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.

All of the 86-year-old monarch's engagements this week have been cancelled or will be postponed. This includes a planned trip to Rome.

News of the Queen's illness emerged on Friday evening after she was forced to cancel a trip to Swansea for St David's day.

Gastroenteritis is an infection of the stomach and large intestine, most commonly caused in this country by the norovirus and food poisoning.

A Palace spokesman said: "The Queen is being assessed at the King Edward VII's Hospital, London, after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.

"As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled."

It is the first time in ten years that the Queen has been admitted to hospital.


CQ groups get $150k to build community resilience

Premium Content CQ groups get $150k to build community resilience

Funding goes specifically to cotton-growing communities to assist with recovery...

Why hundreds are lining up to go through hell

Premium Content Why hundreds are lining up to go through hell

‘They’ll be climbing, crawling, slipping, sliding, dodging, diving...’

CQ shire’s hi-tech solution to illegal dumping

Premium Content CQ shire’s hi-tech solution to illegal dumping

The upgrades aim to reduce illegal dumping and costs for the council.