THE Queer Fruits Film Festival has established an international reputation with filmmakers for screening films that inspire respect for the queer community, festival director Akkadia Ford has said.
The event, now in its third year, is drawing increasingly large numbers of film buffs, this year requiring a larger venue in the Lismore Worker's Club.
"We get to screen films from around the world that people rarely get to see," Ms Ford said.
"We've had films from 36 countries in the past three years, and for every film programmed we could have (had) six or seven more of outstanding quality, so we are only showing the best."
Ms Ford is particularly chuffed to this year be able to screen the documentary Orchids - My Intersex Adventure, which has recently been nominated for a major Australian documentary award.
The screening will be followed by a question and answer session with the director.
"This is a really big scoop for us; we are screening it about three weeks out from the award ceremony," Ms Ford said.
Ms Ford is also looking forward to queer burlesque duo Fancy Piece (also known as Holly Bennett and Simone Craswell) hosting and performing at the opening night celebration.
Ross Grayson-Bell, the Australian producer of the film Fight Club, which starred Brad Pitt, will serve as Distinguished Festival Juror for this year's event.
He said he was excited about the diversity represented in the films being screened.
"From a revealing - in more ways than one - documentary about the third generation Australian photographer, William Yang, to a look behind the scenes at an International Mr Leather competition to an incredibly provocative film in Italian about the bashing of the revered director, Pier Paolo Pasolini.
"There is something for everyone in this lineup," he said.
The Queer Fruits Film Festival will be held at the Lismore Workers Club from Thursday, December 29 to Friday, December 30.
The festival coincides with Tropical Fruits New Year's Eve Festival but is independent from it.
QUEER FRUITS FILM FESTIVAL
- Session One and Opening Gala: 5.30pm, Thursday, December 29.
- Session Two: 3pm, Friday, December 30.
- Session Three: 6pm, Friday, December 30.
- Session Four: 8.30pm, Friday, December 30.
- Official after-party: Follows Session 4. Venue: Platinum cocktail bar.
- Festival venue: Lismore Workers Club.
- Prices: Festival Pass - $50/$35 (Conc/Tropical Fruits members). Single sessions from $9.
- Tickets: Festival Passes and single session tickets from Tropical Fruits and also at the box office prior to each session. www.tropicalfruits.org.au or 6622 6440.
- Information: www.queerfruitsfilmfestival.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admission restricted to 18+.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.