Residents tell of being locked down during siege
RESIDENTS were escorted to their homes by police and told not to leave during a 10-hour siege at North Mackay.
Others were reportedly locked out of their houses when a 49-year-old man barricaded himself in his Burston St home with a rifle.
Gayle Slatter and her family arrived home about 10pm on Wednesday only to be taken inside by police.
She said she had seen on Facebook that something was happening around her home, near the intersection of Burston and Burgess sts.
"They walked us from the car to the house," she said. "They made sure we were safe.
"My son Brian was up all night, I only had an hour of sleep."
She said in the 10 years she'd lived there she had never seen an incident like it.
The man was not injured but was taken from the scene by the Queensland Ambulance Service to be assessed about 7.20am yesterday.
An emergent situation under the Public Safety Preservation Act (PSPA) was declared at 8.45pm on Wednesday after police responded to reports of a disturbance at a Burston St residence.
The PSPA was declared in the area of Burston St bounded by Malcomson St, Valley St, High St, Berry St and Norris Rd, and motorists were advised to avoid the area.
Residents in the vicinity were asked to stay indoors while police responded to the emergency.
Mackay police district Inspector Andy Graham said the man was the only occupant of the house at the time.
"There were no injuries to police, the man or the public," he said.
"I believe there were some emotional issues the man was dealing with."
Insp Graham said the long siege had been difficult due to the time it occurred.
"Any situation in darkness adds a lot of extra risk, so we're glad to see the matter is resolved," he said.
The emergent situation declared under the PSPA was revoked at 7.33am yesterday.
On September 18 a 39-year-old man barricaded himself in a Milton St unit for almost 12 hours.
NEGOTIATORS achieved a successful outcome when they dealt with a 49-year-old man who had barricaded himself in a house on Burston St, North Mackay.
Just days ago a man was shot dead by police at Inala after he had been holed up in his car armed with a gun.
Mackay police district Inspector Andy Graham said negotiators "did a fantastic job".
"We're very glad to say we got the resolution we did, it could have gone another way," he said.
"Situations like this can turn nasty on you very quickly but I'm glad to say the work of the negotiators and police on the ground... did a fantastic job for us.
"The man was up and down a fair bit throughout the course of the night and negotiators did a fantastic job in dealing with that situation.
"The male surrendered himself into custody."
Insp Graham also said cold conditions were experienced by the emergency services teams during the 10-hour siege from Wednesday through to yesterday.