BUZZED OUT: An elderly woman had a shock when the charger for her phone blew up in the wall socket. Photo Tom Gillespie / The Western Star
BUZZED OUT: An elderly woman had a shock when the charger for her phone blew up in the wall socket. Photo Tom Gillespie / The Western Star Tom Gillespie

Woman shocked after phone charger explodes

AN ELDERLY Roma woman has escaped injury after her phone charger exploded just five seconds after being plugged into the wall.

The woman bought the charger along with her ZTE phone 18 months ago from a local store.

The charger exploded out of the wall just a few seconds after being plugged in, leaving the pins stuck in the socket while the other parts flew across the room.

Her son, who wanted to remain anonymous, said it was a reminder for people to not talk on the phone while they were charging.

The incident comes just two weeks after a NSW woman was killed after her cheap USB charger electrocuted her.

Have you experienced a faulty charger or electrical appliance? If so, email tom.gillespie@westernstarnews.com.


Capras young gun signs with the Bulldogs

Premium Content Capras young gun signs with the Bulldogs

Guy Williams: ‘This deal is reward for his hard work over a long period of...

TALENT ALERT: Capras 18s line-up for semi showdown

Premium Content TALENT ALERT: Capras 18s line-up for semi showdown

What each of the 17 players brings to the team.

Which roads to avoid on Anzac Day in the Central Highlands

Premium Content Which roads to avoid on Anzac Day in the Central Highlands

A full list of road closures, ceremonies and marches taking place across the...