Fire fighters say a small fire at Two Mile school this morning could have been a lot worse
Fire fighters say a small fire at Two Mile school this morning could have been a lot worse Bev Lacey

School fire caused after gurney left to run dry

A GYMPIE school fire this morning caused light to medium smoke damage to a classroom, but could have been a lot worse, a Queensland Fire and Emergency Service officer said.

"We received a Triple-O call about 5.30am, telling us of a structural fire at Two Mile school," Acting Station Officer Andrew Goffin said.

"Officer saw light smoke coming from a classroom.

"A pressure cleaner had caught alight and molten plastic had set fire to the floor lining," he said.

Police said they also attended the blaze. It appeared the gurney had run dry and the motor had overheated, causing an electrical fire.

Mr Goffin said there was minor damage to the classroom floor only and light to medium smoke damage to the classroom.

Gympie Times

Feud between Tassie, Qld leaders hits new heights

Premium Content Feud between Tassie, Qld leaders hits new heights

A battle between Nationals Senator Matt Canavan and former Greens leader Bob Brown...

Young woman charged after car crashes through house

Premium Content Young woman charged after car crashes through house

Police are working to determine if drink-driving played a role

Police charge man over alleged Costigan hotel assault

Premium Content Police charge man over alleged Costigan hotel assault

The Whitsunday MP claimed he was assaulted at NQ watering hole.