TIMELINE: The search for Robert Martinez and Chantal Barnett
Timeline of the search for missing Rockhampton pair Robert Martinez and Chantal Barnett.
- Chantal Barnett last seen by her sister on February 28, 2013
- Robert Martinez's mother, Julie, said the last time she saw her son was when he left her home on March 1, 2013
- She makes her last call to her sister - March 2, 2013
- Robert's car was found at Gavial Creek on March 17, 2013
- Police appeal for help to locate missing duo for first time through media on March 21/22
- Chantal's family make desperate plea - March 23, 2013
- Robert's family appeal for help - March 28, 2013
- Emergency services are carrying out a search in the Mt Jim Crow and Gavial Creek areas and find Robert's wallet April 3, 2013
- Police search house in Birdwood Avenue, Yeppoon, April 6, 2013
- Search at Mt Archer May 21, 2013
- Search in Music Bowl on Yaamba Rd, Parkhurst, area May 24, 2013
- Search of Pink Lily Lagoon June 5, 2013
- Search Mount Morgan June 15, 2013 with diving squad
- Second search at Pink Lily Lagoon June 19
- Silver sedan has been seized in relation to the disappearance of Chantal Barnett and Robert Martinez on June 20. The vehicle caught the attention of police after it was spotted suspiously in the area as authorities searched Mount Morgan bushland.
- Search of unit in Tomkys St, Berserker, August 26
- Case appears on Wanted on September 9
- Case upgraded from missing to double homicide on September 10
- Search of Byfield area September 18 where two items of women's clothing was located, matching descriptions of what Chantal owned
- October 2, 2013. Police and SES uncover several items of interest during a search around Larcombe St, Kawana.
- October 24, 2013. Police use search dogs to scour a piece of land at Port Curtis for the missing pair
- 19th Nov 2013 - searching bushland along Fitzroy River
- February 8, 2014. Family say it has taken 11 months for two people to come forward with ground-breaking information about Robert and Chantal.
- March 14, 2014. Police release images of two vehicles they believe will help their investigations.
- May 14, 2014. Police search Awoonga Dam near Gladstone after receiving information from the public.
- October 11, 2014. Poilce find Chantal Barnett's handbag, Queensland driver's licence, Medicare card and other personal documents in Bowlin Rd, at the eastern end of Quay St
- October 22, 2014. A south Rockhampton farmer finds human bones on a rural property in Port Curtis, near where search crews found 'significant items' which turned out to be Chantal's handbag and documentation.
- October 28, 2014. Rockhampton Police reveal the identity of the bones found on the rural property days earlier belong to that of missing Rockhampton man Robert Martinez.
On October 31, The Bulletin ran a story about more items found in the area where remains belonging to Robert Martinez were located, however it is unknown whether these items are of interest to the murder investigation.
That day marked the ninth continuous day SES crews searched the 100-acre area around Bowlin Rd.
The search for suspected murder victim Chantal Barnett was extended to Woolwash Creek on November 5, 2014. The police dive squad searched scoured part of the 1.2km-stretch of the creek for any evidence that might be linked to Ms Barnett's disappearance over a number of days.
By December 11, 2014 and based on information received from the public to date, police have declared 16 crime sites and conducted 14 land-based searches and taken more than 400 statements. More than 150 calls had been made to Crime Stoppers.
Robert Martinez's funeral service was held at St Joseph's Cathedral in William St on March 22, 2015.
A party of SES and other crews searched a rural area in Parkhurst on the morning April 11, 2015, for Chantal Barnett. The search was in the area in Boundary Rd, not far from the Rockhampton Heritage Village.
May 12, 2015 - Homicide detectives and other police search a Norman Gardens home in relation to the investigation, but police would not reveal if anything was found.
Later that month, CCTV footage was released by police showing Robert leaning out of his white Commodore at the Glenmore McDonald's on the day he disappeared.
Police confirmed on July 10 that search crews found about half-a-dozen items that could be connected to the homicide of Robert and Chantal during searches near where Robert's car was found, in the Bowlin Rd precinct; and also near Alexandra St bridge in Parkhurst.
- Two men arrested in relation to the murders of Chantal and Robert.
Stories The Bulletin and The Observer have run:
Martinez Barnett murder case
- TIMELINE: The search for Robert Martinez and Chantal Barnett
- The smallest clue could give Chantal's family answers VIDEO: Human remains found recently identified as Martinez
- VIDEO: $250,000 reward offer for information on murder case
- Police identify human remains found in Rockhampton as male
- Skull and teeth among human remains found in Rockhampton
- Authorities make significant find in Rocky homicide
- Police ‘on right track’ to find missing Rockhampton duo
- No evidence found in police search of Lake Awoonga
- Several tip offs led to police divers search at Awoonga Dam
- It’s the small things you miss about loved ones not here
- Police looking for two vehicles in missing Rocky pair case
- Police search River Rd, Midgee, for clues missing duo case
- Women's clothing found at Byfield in homicide investigation
- Missing Rocky duo case now a double murder case - police