Menu
News

Sippy Downs 'karate expert' attack: Jury can't reach verdict

Jurors could not agree on the man who said he was
Jurors could not agree on the man who said he was "off his head”.

JURORS have failed to reach a verdict for attempted murder accused Jason Angus Conlon, who allegedly attacked a much shorter man in a Sippy Downs driveway.

Mr Conlon, 42, pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, but guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

At his Brisbane Supreme Court trial this month, the Crown said Mr Conlon drove from Cherbourg and attacked and stabbed his former partner's new boyfriend.

The court heard Mr Conlon was about 178cm tall and the other man 157cm.

Mr Conlon at one point gave evidence saying: "I don't care what size he is. For all I know he could've been a karate expert or something.”

Defence barrister Carl Martinovic told the trial his sleep-deprived client was assaulted in Rockhampton "maybe 48 hours” before visiting the Statesman Circuit house.

After two days of deliberations, the jury could not reach any verdict and was discharged.

Mr Conlon was remanded in custody.

Justice Ann Lyons said the case would be reviewed by October 6 at the latest.

-NewsRegional

Topics:  cherbourg grievous bodily harm jason angus conlon jury discharged justice ann lyons rockhampton sippy downs


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners