Snake catcher in custody for bow and arrow incident
TOOWOOMBA snake catcher David Wiedman remains in custody after a brief mention of charges against him in court on Monday.
David Gregory Wiedman has been charged with "acts intended to cause grievous bodily harm" arising from an alleged incident involving a bow and arrow at the weekend.
The 36-year-old did not appear in Toowoomba Magistrates Court when his matters were briefly mentioned on Monday and remained in the watch house.
His solicitor Jag MacDonald (MacDonald Law) told the court his client would not be making an application for bail at this point and asked that the case be adjourned over for 24 hours so CCTV footage from the defendant's home could be obtained.
Police claim a Darling Heights man aged 30 was struck in the face with an arrow during an argument at a Toowoomba residence in the early hours of Sunday.
Toowoomba Criminal Investigation Branch Acting Senior Sergeant Brian Collins said the two men were known to each other and that the injured man had been taken to hospital after the incident.
"The 30-year-old man is in hospital in a stable condition awaiting surgery," Act. Snr Sgt Collins said yesterday.
Detectives recovered the bow and arrow allegedly used in the incident.
Wiedman has not as yet been required to enter any plea to the charge or to unrelated matters including possessing a schedule two drug in the quantity exceeding schedule three, four counts of possessing a dangerous drug, possessing drug utensils, not being endorsed to possess a restricted drug, and possessing property suspected of having been used in connection with the commission of a drug offence.
There being no application for bail, Magistrate Kay Ryan remanded Wiedman in custody and adjourned the case until tomorrow back in the same court when it is envisaged that a bail application will be made on his behalf.