THE speed limit on a horror stretch of Pialba-Burrum Heads Rd at Craignish will be cut from 100kmh to 80kmh.
Minister for Main Roads Mark Bailey and Member for Maryborough Bruce Saunders exclusively told the Chronicle new speed signs had already been ordered and would be erected within weeks.
The announcement comes less than 24 hours after a six-year-old boy was seriously injured in a crash on Tuesday.
Mr Saunders said the speed limit would drop from 100kmh to 80kmh before Petersen Rd and continue past Mitchell Ave.
The community has spent years campaigning and created several petitions to have something done about the notorious black spot corner at Petersen Rd.
In December last year, Dundowran Beach man Raymond Burke died after a collision less than a kilometre away from the infamous intersection.
Janina Barnes and Megan Anderson who both live on Petersen Rd near the horror intersection welcomed the drop in speed limit.
"It's a sigh of relief after people have been fighting for so long to have it dropped to 80," Mrs Barnes said.
"I am over the moon about that because hopefully it will save a lot of lives or a lot of injuries and there is just too much happening on the road at the moment."
Mrs Barnes has lived on the road for 21 years and said for years their efforts had been falling on "deaf ears".
She told the Chronicle of countless serious crashes during that time including one where a mother and young boy died.
But, she was not confident it would reduce the number of crashes.
"A lot of people just don't obey the road rules," she said.
Ms Anderson also welcomed the news, after seeing at least five serious crashes on the stretch in the three years she had lived there.
She said she was often worried about her young children who often saw the aftermath of crashes.
More than $350,000 has also been allocated to upgrade the intersection at Pialba-Burrrum Heads and Toogoom Rds to "enhance turning facilities".
Mr Saunders said a full safety audit of the road to see what other works can be undertaken will also be conducted.
But he said motorists still needed to change their behaviour.
"The vast majority of road users do the right thing, but until all of us do, all of the time, there is still going to be tragedies on our roads," he said.
- Car and school bus, boy, 6, injured, on February 23, 2016
- Raymond Burke, killed in collision on December 15, 2015
- Man, 23, injured in crash on November 28, 2015
- Serious crash, October 3, 2014
- Car and grassfire after crash on September 30, 2014
- Rollover on November 24, 2012
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.