The upper storey was completely gutted.
The upper storey was completely gutted. Julie-ann Carson

Springsure home gutted by blaze

AN ELECTRICAL fault is suspected to have caused a house fire that extensively damaged a Springsure home at the weekend.

Investigations are continuing but QFRS Acting Area Director Brad Stockwell said early indications were “leaning towards” an electrical fault.

Mr Stockwell said he wanted to stress to residents the importance of having a residual circuit breaker fitted and having any electrical faults inspected.

“Do not become complacent about electrical hazards, and have properly located and fitted smoke detectors to provide early notification,” he said.

QFRS Springsure firefighters attended the South Calliope St house at 2.30am Saturday. It was believed the fire started in the rear-left of the house and quickly spread causing major damage.

Occupants weren’t home at the time and police said they were treating the fire as non-suspicious.

“I commend the efforts of the Springsure firefighters in containing the fire and the community’s fast notifications of the incident to triple zero,” Mr Stockwell said.

“The bushfire season is under way so be vigilant in maintaining your property.”


Skate park the place to be

Skate park the place to be

Emerald Skate Mates free clinics draw in the crowds.

BnS Ball raises $10,000

BnS Ball raises $10,000

Organisers heap praise on crowd.

Breakfast at Tiffany's in Comet

Breakfast at Tiffany's in Comet

Blackdown Seniors dressed up Monday for for a brunch at Comet Rest.

Local Partners