SERVO FIRE: The Springsure service station will be closed for two months for repairs.
SERVO FIRE: The Springsure service station will be closed for two months for repairs. Julie-ann Carson

Springsure servo up in smoke

TRACEY Warren and her husband Tony were about to tuck into a Sunday night dinner of roast pork complete with crackling, but it was crackling of a more sinister kind that had them scrambling.

A power surge may have caused an electrical fault suspected of starting the fire in the independently owned Springsure Three Ways servo around 6.30pm.

“All the firies were fantastic, and we were really lucky (employee) Rita Kelbassa was there and set the alarm off when she saw the glow under a door,” said Tracey.

“She rang Triple Zero straight away, and then us and it took about two seconds to get there.”

Tracey said her worst fear was a bowser explosion in the centrally located Eclipse Street business.

“To think there could have been someone walking past… or if Rita hadn't been there, and the devastation the exploding fuel bowsers could have caused – that's what I can't swallow at the moment.”

There is extensive damage to the main shop area, and the servo will remain closed for possibly two months, Tracey said.

“I just want to commend everybody – the firies, the people who came and held my hand – their support was just amazing.”

Senior Constable Tim Nelson said there were reports of power surges in the town at the time of the fire.

A supermarket and private residence on either side of the service station were not threatened at any stage.


Youngsters shine in political spotlight

Youngsters shine in political spotlight

Pupils participated in the 2018 Emerald Youth Parliament last week.

Maternity unit safe

Maternity unit safe

Promising future for Emerald maternity services

Gemfest a 'huge party'

Gemfest a 'huge party'

Heart of event hasn't changed.

Local Partners