Shaun Greer was sentenced at Ipswich District Court for stalking a police officer.
Shaun Greer was sentenced at Ipswich District Court for stalking a police officer.

Stalker's revenge on policeman

AN IPSWICH man stalked a police officer for more than five months and threatened to burn his house down after the officer reported him for unlicensed driving .

Shaun Greer, 22, was sentenced to 18 months jail but released on immediate parole after admitting to stalking the officer, who lived across the road from him at Booval when the harassment began.

Ipswich District Court was told the policeman was forced to buy surveillance equipment and change his normal routine to avoid Greer.

Greer yelled abuse and obscenities at the police officer, spat at his house and behaved in an extremely obnoxious manner towards the officer in front of the officer's young children.

The stalking began last year after the police officer, while off duty, gave Greer a friendly warning about unlicensed driving.

But Greer ignored the officer and continued to drive while unlicensed, forcing the officer to report him.

After police went to Greer's house to tell him to stop driving on June 19 last year, Greer unleashed a nightmarish reign of terror on the officer and his young family, which escalated in the days and months leading up to November 27.

In sentencing Greer, Judge Deborah Richards said police had noted Greer had appeared to be exploding with rage when confronted.

“On the last occasion of stalking you confronted him while he was in the backyard of his house and said he was dead,” Judge Richards said. “You stood at the end of his driveway holding a shovel.”

Greer, a father of one, also threatened to burn the officer's house down.

After police arrested Greer he continued his threats from inside the watchhouse cell.

“Again you threatened to go across the road and bash up the complainant,” Judge Richards said.

“This all arose out of nothing.”

Crown prosecutor Clayton Wallis said it was clear Greer had a serious problem with anger management and he needed to be supervised.

Defence lawyer Matthew Fairclough said his client was forced to move house because of the charges.

However, Judge Richard was unsympathetic and replied: “Serves him right”.

Mr Fairclough said his client had shown remorse, noting Greer's behaviour was “unsophisticated” and “opportunistic”.

Judge Richards said Greer, who had an “appalling traffic history”, had no previous convections of violence despite his aggressive nature.

Greer was sentenced to 18 months in prison and released on immediate parole.

A restraining order prevents him from contacting the officer until December 31, 2015.

Greer sobbed in the dock as the sentence was handed down.

Fresh faces join the industry

Fresh faces join the industry

Agricultural students in Emerald graduate.

Industry hopes to claim the ag college

Industry hopes to claim the ag college

Agriculture industry calls to take ownership of colleges.

Italian student's memorable stay

Italian student's memorable stay

Central Highlands provided a memorable stay for student.

Local Partners