Syrian refugee named as second suspect in Tube bombing

POLICE have identified one of the suspects of the London Tube bombing as 21-year-old Syrian refugee Yahyah Farroukh.

His arrest took place at midnight Saturday local time in Hounslow, West London, reports The Sun, hours after police seized an 18-year-old man at Dover who was attempting to buy a ferry ticket to leave the country.

According to witnesses, four undercover policemen tackled and contained Mr Farroukh outside a fast-food shop.

"The guy was screaming," one witness told The Sun.

"When they took him down his phone went flying and he dropped his bag containing a drink can and a Kit Kat.

"The cops were shouting to get his phone. A forensic team wrapped his arms in plastic up to his biceps and his legs up to his thighs.

"They put plastic on his shoes then put him in overalls and plastic cuffs. They put him in a car which also had all the seats wrapped in plastic."

Mr Farroukh used to be cared for by foster parents Ron and Penny Jones, whose Surrey house was raided on Saturday.

The respected couple are known for their work with refugee children, and reports have claimed the arrested suspect was an Iraqi teen.

The road remained cordoned off Sunday as anti-terror cops continue to search the area after ordering people out of their homes in the dramatic raid on Saturday.

Neighbours told how armed police descended on the quiet residential street.

Steven Griffiths, 28, who lives opposite elderly foster couple, said: "When I saw the blacked-out van and the guns, I thought that this wasn't a little thing.

"Penny was telling the police with guns where stuff would be placed in her house.

"I said to my mum: 'They are going in to kill. This is something crazy.'

"We were at the windows and the police shouted up to us and said to please get away from the windows and I told her: 'It's a terror investigation.'

"Police with balaclavas were at our door telling us we had five minutes to pack up and leave."

The first arrest came after CCTV footage appearing to show one of the suspects was screened on British TV.

A young man in a grey tracksuit carries a bag that looks like the supermarket bag that contained the bomb, less than two hours before Friday's botched explosion on a packed train injured some 30 people.

Britain's official terrorist alert has been lowered to the second highest level.

Home Secretary Amber Rudd said police had made "good progress" in the investigation after arresting two men suspected of involvement in the attack.

"Following the attack in Parsons Green last Friday the police have made good progress with what is an ongoing operation," Ms Rudd said.

"The joint terrorist analysis centre, which reviews the threat level that the UK is under, has decided to lower that level from critical to severe."

The "severe" level means another attack is highly likely but the higher "critical" level means an attack may be imminent.

- Staff writers

News Corp Australia

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners