Home-made flame thrower burns teen

AN IPSWICH teenager was rushed to hospital yesterday morning after a homemade flame-thrower exploded in his face.

The 15-year-old boy suffered extensive burns to more than half of his body when he injected fuel into a plastic container at his family home in Redbank.

Paramedics rushed to the home in Daintree Pl shortly after 9am where the boy was in a serious condition with severe burns to his face and chest.

He was stabilised at the scene before being transported to the Royal Brisbane Hospital Burns Unit where he remained in a serious but stable condition last night. A police spokesman said the child's parents were home at the time and called for help.

“It appears the young child had put two stroke petrol into a plastic container and as he lit it, it exploded on him,” the spokesman said.

Yesterday's horrific accident is the fourth time a home-made experiment has caused serious injuries in the Ipswich region within the past 12 months.

In February, a 44-year-old man was left in a critical condition after a home made bomb he made exploded and blew open his stomach at a house in Helidon Spa, west of Gatton.

In May last year, two boys aged 14 and 15 were injured when a pipe bomb exploded unexpectedly at a Gatton residence.

The pair received deep wounds to their face and body and are still being treated for their injuries.

In August, a 15-year-old Fernvale boy was almost killed when a bomb made from sparklers shot shrapnel into his face.

Tori Field lost part of his hand and lower jaw in the explosion.

Earlier this year, Ipswich advance care paramedic John Millwood told The Queensland Times home made bombs were unpredictable in their timing, force and direction.


Creating support links

Creating support links

Emerald woman starts depression/anxiety support group.

Bush adventures kids will love

Bush adventures kids will love

Local author inspires big rural dreams.

What can you do?

What can you do?

Chance to learn life-saving skills.

Local Partners