Boy 'repeatedly raped' by man

A 31-YEAR-OLD man allegedly raped a boy repeatedly in their home, Bundaberg Magistrates Court was told yesterday.

The defendant, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, has not entered a plea to one charge of rape.

A number of witnesses, including police officers and family members, were called to give evidence during the second day of the committal hearing, which will determine if there is enough evidence for a trial.

The alleged victim’s aunt, who also cannot be identified, said the family became worried about the alleged victim when they started to “hear rumours” in 2009.

She told the court she ran into her nephew, who was 17 at the time of the alleged rape, outside Centrelink some time in 2009 and he told her he was “scared” of the defendant.

The aunt said the problem was then discussed within the family and, days later, a group of eight relatives removed the alleged victim from the east Bundaberg home he shared with the defendant.

“He was petrified, you could see it,” she said.

The aunt said she told her nephew he did not need to be scared and they just wanted to make sure he was OK.

She said she also told her nephew that his grandmother was not eating because she was so worried about him.

The woman told the court it was not until she was able to have a private conversation with her nephew later that he admitted he had been repeatedly raped.

“He told me that he was being physically, verbally and mentally abused,” she said.

The aunt said the alleged victim also showed her a lighter burn mark on his chest and two cigarette burns on his arms.

She told the court her nephew claimed he had been raped twice a day for the past “few months”.

Earlier, the court had been told the defendant had been in Emerald for work when some of the alleged rapes had occurred.

Defence barrister Bernard Riley questioned a number of yesterday’s witnesses repeatedly on the dates the alleged events occurred, but many struggled to even give the time of year the alleged events happened.

The defendant has been charged only for the first alleged rape, said to have occurred some time between May and October 2008.

The hearing is expected to conclude today.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners