Mum worried stalker will come for her on his release from jail
IT'S the kind of story they make Hollywood thrillers about.
A woman mercilessly stalked by her ex-boyfriend is threatened that he will kill her.
When she delves into his history she is chilled to discover he was convicted of manslaughter 18 years ago.
It was the real-life nightmare for a Bellbird Park mum, after she ended a relationship with Michael James Mostyn.
The mother, who asked not to be named, said she was terrified when she discovered the man had killed someone before.
Mostyn had been convicted of manslaughter in 1997.
"He told me he'd killed someone but I didn't believe him," the woman said.
"It wasn't until I looked his name up on the internet that I realised it was true. I was shocked."
When she made her discovery Mostyn had been stalking and harassing the woman.
Mostyn's criminal behaviour included breaking into the woman's house, damaging her property and attacking her with his car.
At Ipswich District Court, last week, he pleaded guilty to the stalking charge as well as a string of other offences.
He appeared via video link from Arthur Gorrie Correctional Centre and had spent 331 days in jail awaiting a final verdict and sentence for his crimes.
Crown prosecutor Noel Needham said Mostyn's stalking had consisted of "deliberate acts which had been designed to terrify his victim".
On one occasion, Mostyn was sending the woman text messages with photos of locations that showed he was getting closer to her house.
On another occasion, Mostyn accessed the woman's online dating profile and invited random men to come to her house.
He also threw her pet cat onto the neighbour's roof.
Mr Needham said the "short but intense" period of stalking took place in March last year and lasted about two weeks.
It ended when the woman had Mostyn arrested.
Defence barrister Steve Kissick said Mostyn's criminal history contained no priors for violence against women.
He said his client was "deeply ashamed" of his conduct and wanted to assure the woman she had nothing to fear from him.
Mr Kissick said Mostyn had spent about 15 of his past 18 years behind bars but had developed working skills in that time.
Magistrate Deborah Richards said Mostyn's criminal actions had put him in breach of a suspended sentence for a prior offence.
Mostyn was sentenced to three years in jail with a parole release date of September 19 this year.
He was also disqualified from driving for five years.
Judge Richards also imposed a restraining order which prevented Mostyn from contacting the victim.
However the woman, who was present in court, said Mostyn's punishment didn't make her feel any safer.
"I have been living in fear of him since this incident took place," the mother said.
"I now take medication and undergo counselling to help me deal with it. I can't live by myself anymore because it makes me anxious."
The woman said she dreaded the day Mostyn was due to be released from prison.
"Restraining order or not, I still believe he will come after me," she said. "I was the one who stood against him and put him in jail."