Throw out your gas cookers made before July 2015

IF you own a butane gas cooker made before July 2015, you need to throw it out.

That is the message from the Queensland Government after two explosions in Far North Queensland put four people in hospital last week.

People in Rockhampton and Bundaberg have been urged to take special notice of this warning as these potentially dangerous cookers could be lurking in sheds and garages. Many of these gas cookers were trucked to the areas to help those impacted by Cyclone Marcia in 2014.

Natural resources minister Anthony Lynham said safety mechanisms on the devices were not working.

"When the cooker overheats the gas canister is supposedly supposed to eject from the cooker," he said.

He said when it failed to eject, the gas canister would explode.

"Anyone who bought one of these butane gas lunchbox cookers manufactured before July 2015 should stop using it and dispose of it.

"They are potentially lethal."

Dr Lynham said there had been nine incidents in about a year involving these cookers.

Topics:  cooking gas safety

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

A family fun day for all

GET INVOLVED: This year's St Joseph's family fun day will have a range of unique activities for all ages.

Support St Joseph's in Clermont at their annual Family Fun Day.

Blackwell comes to CH

IN TOWN: Aussie cricketer Alex Blackwell will be   a   speaker at Emerald's Epic Street Party on March 22.

Alex Blackwell will be a guest speaker in Emerald next week.

Step back for local graziers

DISAPPOINTED AND DISGUSTED: Member for Gregory Lachlan Millar and farmer/grazier Ian Sampson.

Proposed legislation raises ire on local farms.

Local Partners