Menu
News

Thumbs up for a marathon effort

Garry Lawton takes a quick break from running for Orange Thumbs Inc at Hinkler Central to help raise funds and awareness for brain tumour research.
Garry Lawton takes a quick break from running for Orange Thumbs Inc at Hinkler Central to help raise funds and awareness for brain tumour research. Max Fleet

AFTER running the equivalent of seven marathons in just seven days, Garry Lawton can hang up his boots knowing he has achieved his goal of raising awareness and funds for brain tumour and injury research.

Mr Lawton, who has survived three brain tumours, set up his treadmill in Hinkler Central shopping centre last weekend and ran 42km each day for seven days to raise awareness about his Orange Thumbs charity.

"We exceeded our expectations," Mr Lawton said.

"We were hoping to raise $7000 and I think we're pretty close to that."

Of the funds raised, 40% will go to the neurology unit at the Wesley Hospital in Brisbane, and the remaining 60% will go directly to helping and supporting those with brain tumours and injuries.

"We spoke to a lot of people and painted well over 7000 nails orange," he said.

Mr Lawton said he hoped to spread his message much further next year, taking his treadmill to towns around the region including Childers, Monto, Rockhampton and Bundaberg.

Topics:  fundraising


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners