Warren Ross as he appeared in 2014 during his trial for the murder of two-year-old Tanilla Warrick-Deaves. (AAP Image/Daniel Munoz) NO ARCHIVING
Warren Ross as he appeared in 2014 during his trial for the murder of two-year-old Tanilla Warrick-Deaves. (AAP Image/Daniel Munoz) NO ARCHIVING DANIEL MUNOZ

He murdered a toddler, now he's appealing his sentence

TODDLER killer Warren Ross, who bashed his two year old step-daughter Tanilla Warrick-Deaves and left for her dead in her pram, has appealed his 40-year jail sentence for murder.

The sentence, which was handed down in 2014, includes a 30-year non-parole period.

On March 11, Ross filed an appeal against the severity of the sentence with the Supreme Court of NSW, which will be heard on July 26.

A spokesperson for the Supreme Court of NSW said there were three grounds of appeal for Ross's sentence, but the court would not release those details until the day of the appeal hearing itself.

Ross's lawyers were contacted for comment on the grounds of appeal, but declined to say anything.

The move has shocked and angered Brooke Bowen, who was the partner of Tanilla's father Adrian Warrick during the trial and heavily involved in the 'Tanilla's Law' campaign, which called for the mandatory life sentencing of people found guilty of the murder or manslaughter of a child.

She said the "audacity" of Ross to appeal his sentence for killing Tanilla was beyond belief.

"He's got a nerve to appeal after what he's done to that little girl and to everyone around her," she said.

"He took a child's life, where's her right to appeal now that she's gone?"

During the original trial jurors heard of Ross's ongoing abuse against his two-year-old step-daughter, which involved him regularly whipping her with a power cord as punishment for being slow to toilet train and forcing her to run laps around the family home until she collapsed from exhaustion.

Ross's mistreatment of the toddler culminated in 2011 when he banged her head into the shower screen twice, causing severe brain injuries.

The court heard that for two days after the attack, Tanilla was left in her pram to die.

During the trial, Ross maintained the toddler's bruises were the result of a trampoline accident and a fall from a chest of drawers.

He claimed that he and partner Donna Deaves, Tanilla's biological mother, put the toddler to bed and discovered her unconscious later in the night. Deaves was jailed for 12 years for manslaughter, with a non-parole period of nine years.

The NSW Supreme Court spokesperson said a Notice of Intention to Appeal was filed by Ross's lawyers as far back as June 16, 2014.

"Since then, his lawyers have applied for, and received, four extensions to file the appeal. This is common due to delays in obtaining transcripts, exhibits, legal advice," the spokesperson said.

Low impact collision, Gindie

Low impact collision, Gindie

A low impact collision has occurred in the Gindie area.

Budget disappoints MP

Budget disappoints MP

Millar says it's 'full of political spin'.

Pouring money into fuel pumps

Pouring money into fuel pumps

Highest prices in Central Queensland.