Menu
News

Toddler may never walk again after swallowing lithium battery

Cheryl doesn’t want anyone to go through what her little girl has
Cheryl doesn’t want anyone to go through what her little girl has

CHERYL Bell knew there was something horribly wrong with Kacie when she saw her two-year-old girl inexplicably rolling around in agony in their home two months ago.

"She had diarrhoea and vomiting which didn't stop. I took her into hospital and she wasn't breathing, we thought she was going to have an asthma attack," the mum from England explains

Cheryl was woken by a doctor at three in the morning to tell her that young daughter had swallowed a lithium battery.

"I started screaming and crying. That day they rushed us over to Nottingham Hospital."

The tiny lithium cell battery, which fell out of a button car key, wasn't removed for another nine days and then Kacie wasn't discharged for a another eight days.

But about five days later - the sick youngster began vomiting blood and had to be rushed to hospital again.

"I was devastated, I couldn't believe it was happening to me," her distraught 27-year-old mother said.

"The acid from the battery burned through her stomach and two arteries in her back which has left her unable to walk."

The poor little girl had to endure a six-and-a-half hour operation to repair the arteries at the bottom of her back and her oesophagus.

"There was 40 per cent chance she wouldn't survive the operation but obviously, I have made the right choice for her to have it done," Cheryl says.

"I have got my little girl back. She is only the second child in the world to have survived it according to Birmingham Children's Hospital. It was horrendous - we thought we were going to lose her."

Kacie has been in hospital for eight weeks and her parents have been warned she might be paralysed from the waist down.

Her oesophagus is so badly burned she cannot eat or drink so she must be fed through a tube.

"She is getting there but she has still not been able to eat anything."

Cheryl has been told it could be at least a month before her daughter is released from hospital.

"I'm going through hell and back. Kacie might not walk again for the rest of her life."

She wants to get the word to other families so they never have to go through the heartache that hers is.

"I want to get the message out there about how dangerous button batteries are. I want to warn other parents what damage the batteries can do," she says.

"Kacie is lucky she survived. She could have died and she would have if it hadn't been for them (hospital staff.)"

This article originally appeared on Kidspot and has been republished here with permission.

Topics:  health parenting

News Corp Australia

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Region faces wild wind

DESTROYED: Half of the roof of the Moranbah home was ripped off from the 104km/h wind.

Moranbah residents say weather is worse than the cyclone.

Heroic rescue saves life

CLOSE CALL: Leslie Cruthers and Buddha at the spot the playful pup fell into the Nogoa River.

Kayakers rush to save dog walker clinging to riverbank.

National super star at age 13

Competing in Rotorua, New Zealand earlier this year.

Dingo local takes on international motocross competition.

Local Partners