Two hours away from Islamic State attack in Sydney: police

POLICE believe two Sydney men were hours away from carrying out a IS-style terrorist attack on home soil before they were arrested yesterday.

A 24-year-old and a 25-year-old man, who were not under police surveillance before, were arrested in Fairfield in Sydney's west on Tuesday afternoon.

They will appear in court today charged with undertaking acts in preparing or planning a terrorist act.

Police raided their house after receiving information the pair were planning to carry out a terror attack yesterday.

NSW police deputy commissioner Catherine Burns alleged police found a home made Islamic State flag, a machete, a hunting knife and a video allegedly of a man talking about the planned attack.

Ms Burns would not confirm if police would allege the pair were planning to behead a victim on camera.

However, she said police would allege the planned attack was "consistent with the messaging coming out of IS".

She said police were continuing to investigate if the pair had been in discussions with IS representatives.

- APN NEWSDESK


Fran Underhill: Local author is a force for positivity

Fran Underhill: Local author is a force for positivity

Fran sends a message to children.

No local blood service...

No local blood service...

Emerald local raising awareness on the importance of donating blood.

Council's liveable spaces project focuses on families

Council's liveable spaces project focuses on families

Isaac budget brings lifestyle upgrades.

Local Partners