News

Family loses 30 pet snakes as fire consumes home

A LONE Lego man was left in the charred remains of Daniel, Tayha and Chaise Bowker's Cowan Cres home in Emerald.

In the early hours of last Wednesday, the Bowkers lost everything they owned in the property which was not protected by a working smoke alarm.

Daniel, who was at work at Daunia Mine at the time of the fire, said his partner Tayha and son Chaise were lucky to escape.

"My partner was taking the kitten out of the room when she saw smoke coming out of the snake room," he said.

"She ran back into the bedroom to grab our five-year-old son, before going outside and calling 000.

"By the time the firies arrived the house was engulfed and, sadly, nothing could be retrieved, however no one was injured and both dogs were rescued."

To add insult to incredible injury, Daniel said the family was not insured.

"We are fairly gutted," he said. "We didn't have contents insurance either, so that was a lesson learnt.

"The loss of over 30 snakes was brutal, there was some nice (ones) including albinos, platinums and a scrub python.

"I also collected a lot of video game collectibles, which sadly now can't be replaced, as well as my partner's jewellery and my son's Lego."

QFES Emerald Station Officer Clive Weeks said it was a sorry reminder that landlords and tenants had responsibilities when it came to operational fire alarms.

"In this house fire the smoke alarm was not working... and had not been maintained in an operating condition," Mr Weeks said.

"At the height of the fire there were three appliances, two from Emerald and one from Capella, but by the time they arrived it was fully involved.

"The fire was really intense in one place and spread into the ceiling very quickly and mushroomed down - it was very hot, very fast."

Landlords and their property agents must ensure the smoke alarm is working and in good order within 30 days of starting a new tenancy and must replace the alarm before it reaches the end of its service life.

"If they get a call from the tenant that the alarm is not working for some reason they should have it replaced as quickly as possible," Mr Weeks said.

Legally, tenants must clean and test a smoke alarm at least once a year and are required to replace flat batteries.

Daniel wanted to thank everyone who helped by donating toys and clothes to the family.

They are now staying in Rockhampton.

Topics:  editors picks


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Address debt, says financial counsellor

ACT NOW: Don't let debt accumulate, a financial counsellor advises.

Don't let the financial stress mount, says financial counsellor.

Colourful array of stunning art

BLOOMING BEAUTIFUL: A winning entry from last year's Blackwater art exhibition.

If you love art then the 41st Annual Art Competition is for you.

Growing up with a love for local show

BIG OPPORTUNITY: Cheneya Freese is the 2017 Miss Alpha Showgirl.

Cheneya Freese has been named Miss Alpha Showgirl for 2017

Local Partners

Young man's body found in burnt CQ home

MYSTERY surrounds death of a young man found near melted appliances in a burnt-out Emerald unit this morning.

What to expect at Birds of Tokyo's Ipswich gig

The band will perform at the Racehorse Hotel on Friday.

BAND member Glen Sarangapany talks music, pub grub and doing shoeys

What public holidays are left in 2017

Ipswich residents will get the day off tomorrow for the show.

IPSWICH residents will get tomorrow off for the show

Caitlyn comes home to launch debut album

Gympie's Caitlyn Shadbolt will launch here debut album Songs On My Sleeve at an exclusive all-ages concert in Gympie on Friday, May 26.

Win tickets to Caitlyn's album launch

Concert death toll revised up to 22, tour suspended

TWENTY-TWO people have been killed and at least 59 people have been injured following a terror attack in Manchester

Casual Keanu says fame is ‘cool’

Keanu Reeves in a scene from the movie John Wick: Chapter 2.

NOBODY expected much of John Wick when it was released in 2014.

Ariana Grande breaks her silence after fatal blast

According to reports quoting witnesses, a mass emergency evacuation was prompted after explosions were heard at the end of US singer Ariana Grande's concert in the arena.

The entertainment industry is in shock after attack on concert

Pitch Perfect star suing Woman’s Day over ‘liar’ articles

Actor Rebel Wilson outside court on Friday.

REBEL Wilson's career destroyed by grubby campaign, court hears.

Seven Year Switch: The boner to end all boners

Johnny’s outraged over claims he has a cracked boner.

She gulps. Her face says it all.

Bay to star in Hollywood shark thriller ‘Cage Dive’

Cage Dive, written and directed by Gerald Rascionato, is now screening in the United States of America. It had scenes filmed in Hervey Bay.

And our visiting humpback whales also make appearance.

Celebrity sex tapes: Where does all that money go?

Basically, did Paris and Kim earn fortunes from their videos?

One of Maryborough's most historic homes is still for sale

FULL OF HISTORY: Trisha Moulds is owner of the historic Tinana state known as Rosehill. The beautiful home is currently for sale.

It has been the scene of both joy and tragedies over the years.

The face of the Sunshine Coast's overpriced rental crisis

Alyx Wilson had to rent a $385 unit in Currimundi because the market was too competitive for cheaper rental housing. She is now renting a room from friends who own a house in Currimundi, and says its much more affordable.

Young people feel the strain in competitive, expensive rental market

WATCH: Take a tour of a tradie's dream home

5a Bruce Hiskens Court, Norman Gardens, going for $720,000. INSET: Lea Taylor.

Huge block with potential for anything

Deputy Premier makes massive call on controversial sand mine

Aerial view of the proposed Forest Glen sand mine.

BREAKING: State Government makes huge call on Coast sand mine plans

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!