Unattended candle almost burns down family home

A CANDLE almost destroyed a family's home in Scarness.

The smoke detectors inside the unit were not working when the flame fire broke out Saturday night.

Torquay Fire Station acting station officer Malcolm McKay said nobody was hurt, but the situation could have been worse.

"People need to ensure they have working smoke alarms, and not leave candles unattended," Mr McKay said.

"Had the smoke detectors been working in this situation, it would have notified the family of the flame when it was still reasonably small."

Minor damage was caused to the unit's interior.


Queensland Police join the National Day of Action

Queensland Police join the National Day of Action

Driving on our roads and using our roads should never come at such an irreversible...

COURT: 40 people to face Blackwater court

premium_icon COURT: 40 people to face Blackwater court

40 people will appear in Blackwater Magistrates Court on Friday, January 24.

Create delicious dairy delights from home

Create delicious dairy delights from home

Learn to make brie and camembert cheese as well as sourdough bread.