Central Queensland celebrates Australia Day
WINNING an Australia Day award means that much more to Vietnam veteran Noel Mallyon.
The Emerald RSL president accepted the award for Emerald and Gemfields Community Event of the Year, for the organisation's ANZAC Centenary celebration in Emerald.
The week-long celebration included events such as the Gone but not Forgotten exhibition, the arrival of the historic troop train, an ANZAC Race Day, the unveiling of a bronze sculpture at the Emerald Town Hall and the ANZAC Day dawn and morning services, which both attracted record numbers.
"The spirit of the ANZAC is still continuing with our troops overseas today, but we had to honour the ANZACs as they were some of the first," he said.
The events, which included a dawn service at 4.28am, and a gunfire breakfast that served more than 3000 people, were organised by the Emerald RSL sub branch, community organisations and volunteers.
"I was extremely proud to be involved in celebrations, it was very emotional but it's something I will never forget for the rest of my life," he said.
As someone who has served beneath the Australian flag, Mr Mallyon said being able to accept the Australia Day award on behalf of the RSL was "extra special".
"Australia is such a great country, for the wonderful mateship and the freedoms we enjoy," he said.
Central Queensland Australia Day Award Winners:
Central Highlands Regional Council
- Community Event of the Year: Centenary of ANZAC
- Cultural Award: Charmaine McKeon Parlett
- Junior Sports Award: Nikolas Bray
- Senior Sports/Administrator Award: Jim Fabish
- Citizen of the Year: Valerie and Dave Korn
- Community Event of the Year: 150th Springsure Show
- Cultural Award: Springsure RSL Sub-Branch
- Young Citizen of the Year: Chelsea Dendle
- Junior Sports Awards: Holly Smith
- Senior Sports Awards: Alan Powell
- Citizen of the Year: Maria Hoare
- Community Event of the Year: Capella CTM Links Kids School Holiday Events
- Cultural Award: John White
- Young Citizen of the Year: Aileen Kinghorn
- Junior Sport Award: Peyten Bridgeman
- Senior Sports/Administrator Award: Hannah Murphy
- Citizen of the Year: Steven Campbell
- Community Event of the Year: 2015 Troop Train Re-enactment Blackwater Event
- Young Citizen: Kaitlin Rogers
- Junior Sports Award: Gregory McAuliffe
- Senior Sports: Lawson Nobbs
- Citizen of the Year: Carol Finger
>>Isaac Regional Council
- Community Event of the Year: 2015 Multicultural Food and Arts Festival
- Citizen of the Year: John and Jan Burnett
- Young Citizen of the Year: Jack Lonergan
>>Barcaldine Regional Shire
- Community Event of the Year: Muttaburra Remembers WWI
- Citizen of the Year: Kaylene Reynolds
- Young Citizen of the Year: Emily Gleeson
- Volunteer of the Year: Jill Williams
- Junior Sports Award: Alisha Woods
- Volunteer of the Year Certificate of Appreciation: Darren Kruse
- Volunteer of the Year Certificate of Appreciation: Adam and Jennifer Russell
- Junior Sports Award: Britney Hannay
- Senior Sports Award: Korina Fisher
- Junior Sports Award: Joel Halls
- Highly Commended for Sportsmanship: Riley O'Dell
- Senior Sports Award: Zoe Halls
- Highly Commendedfor Contribution and Dedication: Joelene Gleeson-Seeds, Barcaldine