Water bill reprieve for Isaac ratepayers
ISAAC ratepayers have been granted 12 months by Isaac Regional Council before they have to pay for water use.
Mayor Anne Baker said council moved to delay water consumption charges, which were to take effect from July 1, 2016 at the Council Ordinary Meeting last week.
"The delay will provide more time for ratepayers to prepare, and for Council to ensure a seamless transition to the new user pays system,” she said.
"We know how difficult the economic environment is for our residents, ratepayers and businesses.”
"While Council intended to, it has not issued any charges for consumption and will not charge for consumption until July 1, 2017.”
"Council will take the time to ensure the new charging system is appropriate, efficient and reliable.”
"The first water notice issued will be for the period July 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 and will be issued during January, 2018.”
"The delay will also provide people with more time to develop their water-saving habits,” she said.
Ratepayers can sign up to MiWater, a website that provides water consumption information at www.isaac.qld.gov.au/miwater.
"You will be able to set email and SMS alerts and be notified of water leaks and high consumption within days of occurrence.”
Ratepayers will still pay an access charge as part of their rates; this covers the cost of owning, operating, maintaining and managing the water supply facilities and network in eight communities across Isaac.
For more details on the two-part water tariff, please visit www.isaac.qld.gov.au.