FROMMER'S have unveiled their top destinations list for 2012.
Compiled by Frommer's travel writers and editors, the list features both emerging and established destinations, which are set to be big news for travellers in 2012.
And taking out the top destination to get lost in gong was the Whitsundays.
With its calm blue waters of the Coral Sea, the island resorts of the Whitsundays region have emerged from the devastation of 2011's Cyclone Yasi looking better than ever.
Several of the luxury resorts have had major upgrades and visitors to the five-star Hayman, in particular, will find much has changed after its $66 million facelift.
What hasn't changed though is the reason travellers flock there: for the dazzling azure water, countless sheltered bays and beaches, coral reefs and laid-back atmosphere.
For everything from the drop-dead decadence of Hamilton Island's adults-only qualia to the basic wilderness cabins and camping on Hook Island, there's a resort for all tastes.
Top 10 destinations for 2012:
- Chongqing, China
- Fukuoka, Japan
- Beirut, Lebanon
- London, England
- Girona, Spain
- Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia/New Brunswick, Canada
- Kansas City, Missouri, USA
- Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Top family destinations for 2012
- Top Family Destination: Great Smoky Mountains National Park
- Top Cruise Destination: Tromso, Norway
- Top Beach Destination: Hanalei Beach, Kauai, Hawaii
- Top Adventure Destination: Moab, Utah
- Top Food & Drink Destination: Lima, Peru
- Top City Break Destination: Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Top Endangered Destination: Aysen Region, Chile
- Top Value Destination: Albanian Riviera
- Top Destination to Get Lost: Whitsunday Islands, Australia
- Readers' Choice: Turkey
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.