Wife of accused McCulkin murderer puts house on the line
AN accused killer's wife is willing to stake the family's Torbanlea home as surety in order to secure his freedom ahead of his murder trial.
Garry Reginald Dubois, 67, was charged last year with eight offences - including murder and deprivation of liberty - over the 1974 disappearance of Barbara May McCulkin, 34, and her two daughters, Vicki Maree McCulkin, 13, and Barbara Leanne McCulkin, 11.
The three women have not been seen since they disappeared on January 16 from their Highgate Hill home in Brisbane's southern suburbs more than four decades ago.
The bodies of the three women have never been recovered.
Another man, Vincent O'Dempsey, 76, of Warwick also has been charged with eight offences stemming from the McCulkins' disappearance.
It has been revealed, in documents filed in the Brisbane Supreme Court, that Dubois' wife Jan, 56, has offered to put up the couple's Torbanlea home to secure his bail release.
The court documents reveal Burrum District Reality evaluated the Kent Parade home on January 5, 2015, and estimated it was worth between $300,000 and $325,000.
The couple purchased the house in 2008 after Mrs Dubois received $475,000 from her sister's passing.
Mrs Dubois, who receives a disability pension after having being diagnosed with sarcoidosis, outlined in her affidavit the ailments her husband of 40 years suffered from.
She said he had a heart condition as well as angina, blood pressure and prostate problems.
The court documents detail how they were carers for their daughter Nicole Emma Dubois, 37, who also receives a disability pension after a car crash injury in January 13, 2007.
Mrs Dubois said their daughter was medicated for constant seizures, which began after the crash, and needed assistance with daily chores such as cooking.
She revealed details in her affidavit of the events leading up to her husband's arrest on October 18 last year.
Mrs Dubois said the two had been served with a notice to appear before the then Queensland Crime and Misconduct Commission on June 1 where they both gave evidence.
She said they did not have legal representation.
Mrs Dubois said they then received another notice to appear before the CMC, this time on October 18, and they travelled down on the train from Maryborough the night before.
She said her husband was immediately arrested and charged when they arrived at the CMC.
Mrs Dubois went on to say in her affidavit that she fully supported her husband's bail application and was willing to drive him to either Howard or Hervey Bay police stations should it become a condition of his bail if released.
Dubois' bail application hearing is scheduled to take place in the Brisbane Supreme Court on February 13.
- APN NEWSDESK.