Woman killed by charging iPhone 5

APPLE has confirmed that it will be investigating an accident in which a woman was killed, electrocuted whilst answering a call on her charging iPhone 5.

The incident occurred last Thursday when Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old woman who worked as a flight attendant for China Southern Airlines, answered the charging phone after just getting out of the bath.

The incident was tweeted by Ma's sister after blogging the incident. She reported that her sister, who was planning her wedding on August 8, fell to the floor after picking up the call. The tweet was reposted more than 3,000 times and prompted arguments over whether Apple's handsets were safe to use whilst charging.

A spokesperson for Apple China said: "We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the Ma family. We will fully investigate and cooperate with authorities in this matter."

Death by electrocution whilst using a charging mobile phone is an extremely rare occurrence but could be caused by a failure of electrical insulation. It has been suggested that such a failure could have been caused by extremely hot climate in Xingiang, the region in China where Ma Ailun lived.
 


Revealed: Qld private school fees for 2021

Premium Content Revealed: Qld private school fees for 2021

School fees at most Queensland private schools have increased

Train and ute collide in St Lawrence

Premium Content Train and ute collide in St Lawrence

Police have responded to a crash between a ute and a freight train.

Man crashes car on Central Queensland highway

Premium Content Man crashes car on Central Queensland highway

It is believed the driver may have fallen asleep behind the wheel.